STBA / SPAB Annual Conference Day 2 – Skills
Day 2. Skills and underpinning knowledge in the traditional built environment is essential for all sections of the fragmented construction industry if we are to avoid the mistakes of the past:
1. Welsh Government is taking an holistic approach to retrofit. Head of Decarbonisation Lisa Dobbins will guide the conference through the processes and thinking that has taken WG along this path.
2. Safe Retrofit from Peter Rickaby from BSI will take the conference through the most recent developments of PAS2035 and 2038.
3. The need for a co-ordinated approach to training and skills has been known about for a long time. HE, HES and CADW along with CITB have been working together to assess and form new ways of ensuring that the appropriate knowledge is embedded into courses across the industry. Richard Bayliss from CITB will update the conference on progress on this CITB led project.
4. Getting new knowledge embedded into existing companies and individual trades is more difficult than attempting this in a formal college setting. Lucy Pedler from Green Register will showcase their work on training courses in Bristol and the SW that have targeting this very problem.
5. Professor John Edwards will also present a quick update on the Level 3 Energy Efficiency in Traditional Buildings course.